Thursday, August 20, 2009

Will Sci Fi inspire the next generation?

When I was growing up I became interested in computers and tech in general for two main reasons, computer games on the Intellivision and C64 and secondly, Science Fiction TV, shows such as Star Trek The Next Generation and then DS9 and Voyager. Along with Babylon 5, Space Above and Beyond I cut my teeth on Sci Fi. These shows made me want to know more about space, computers and technology in general.

But what is there for the next generation of young people, what will be their impetus to want to explore technology and the greater universe? We have had some wonderful shows such as Battlestar Gallactica, but after 4 seasons that has come to an end, and although Caprica is just around the corner, it is unlikely to have the same 'space' content.

Recently the Sci Fi Channel in the US changed it's name to SyFy to reflect its move away from shows related just to Science Fiction.

Looking back at the majority of Space based shows, Space is controlled the Military or a galactic style Government with a strong Military presence. This unfortunately, disappoints me as I would love to be able travel in space, but I'm not willing to join a military service for the privilege.

So what will inspire the next generation to push forward?

No comments:

Post a Comment